Find us on Facebook!

 

Friday Fire

Posted on 18th November 2013 at 16:52

The Red Cross is assisting a renter who was displaced by a Friday night fire that damaged a bedroom in a triplex on 9th Avenue in Longview. Around 7:20 last Friday night, Longview Firefighters were called to the 1600 block of 9th, where they found black smoke coming from a back bedroom of the building. It took just a few minutes to get the fire put out; fire damage was limited to the bedroom, but the rest of the unit was damaged by smoke. One adult was displaced; the Red Cross helped to provide emergency housing, food, a comfort kit and information about health and mental health services after the incident. The fire was caused by a space heater that was placed too close to combustible materials. LFD officials say that this is a good reminder to make sure that space heaters have a clear space around them, so that flammable materials don’t catch fire.