Find us on Facebook!

 

Kalama Fire

Posted on 12th November 2013 at 16:53

A propane heater that had been set up to dry spackle is getting the blame for a Sunday night fire that damaged a home under construction near Kalama. The fire took place at about 8:30 Sunday night, at 405 Rocky Meadows Road. Crews from Cowlitz Fire District 5 in Kalama and Fire District 1 in Woodland responded to the scene, and were able to get the fire knocked down in just a few minutes. The person who called 911 also helped some neighbors to evacuate, as the fire was only about five feet away from their house. Officials with Fire District 5 say that the heater had been set up to dry some spackle that had been applied in an upstairs bedroom, but it eventually set those materials on fire. The fire spread, eventually causing the propane tank to explode. Damage to the bedroom was fairly extensive, burning the new ceiling, extending into the rafters and blowing out two windows. A dollar estimate on the damage hasn’t been released.